Sunday, January 11, 2009

Finding a friend in Fanfiction

"When you're weary, feeling small...
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water"
Fanfiction will ease your mind!

Fanfiction, a site filled with stories, poetry and other creative styles, is a wonderful companion and time filler. I know fanfiction got me through long study periods during the HSC. I'd read a fanfiction chapter, summarise a textbook chapter, and so on.

Until the last few weeks, I had happily and thoroughly explored the Phantom of the Opera sequels, re-writes, prequels, alternate universes, the list goes on. However, I now feel the need to write my own. No one has yet to address an issue following a scene that never sat well with me(in the film particularly), and so I answered my own need by crafting a response.

I am a Phantom of the Opera fanatic, and for my Extension 2 English course, I wrote a lengthy critical response addressing and analysing the transformations of The Phantom of the Opera through time and text(through the phsychological theory of the looking-glass self.) It was entitled: Transformations of a Phantom - holding up a mirror to society.

I do not consider myself a 'creative' writer by any stretch of the imagination, however there is a certain freedom in such an unrestricted medium, and I am enjoying the challenge.

My story: Stranger than you dreamt it
My Profile: MaryannfromAus

Hence, when one cannot be bothered to do anything, or simply needs to take their mind off a task, fanfiction is a great friend to have. If you have a favourite book, movie, comic, fairy-tale, or writer that never completely hit the nail on the head, gave you the ending you wanted, or crafted characters you would love to continue reading about, there will be a story for you. (Keep in mind you may have to sift through quite a bit of garbage).


It is only an internet connection and a few clicks away.

No comments: